Saturday, June 6, 2009

Game update, June 6

I'm in a renaissance of gaming right now. I went through a dark ages period in which my Xbox, Ps3, Ds and PSP had been stolen, but they have been replaced, and I've been going whole hog on gaming since then. I'll break it down by system.

DS: My tried and true friend. Its been a lot of GTA Chinatown Wars, and I've been hot and cold on it. Its been lauded as perhaps the best GTA to date, but I don't know that I'm ready to agree. I think the usage of the touch screen controls are the best I've seen on the ds to date, with the exception of using it to throw grenades, and the narcotics trading system is an excellent addition, but the birds eye view can be challenging and the controls and aiming aren't always intuitive. I'm struggling a bit with length, but will likely stick to it.

PSP: When I first replaced the PSP, I was all about D&D Tactics. I'm a d&d fan from way back, and the way the stick to the mechanics sang to me like a siren song, but there were some camera and pacing issues that made it difficult to enjoy. I'm still going to go back to it, but for now the PSP is all about puzzle quest.

Xbox 360:
Bully, which is a Rockstar game. Similar in play and mechanic to the GTA games, but more of a cruel intentions type theme. You play Jimmy Hopkins, a roustabout whose mom and stepdad ship him out to Bulworth academy while they go on an extended honeymoon. Everything is exaggerated of course, but its a fun game with some new ideas and some aggravating achievements.

PS3:

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune. A sort of tomb raider meets gears of war with incredible visual design and powerful graphics. I'm late to the party on this one, but definitely a great game. Should be finished up by the end of the weekend, then on to inFAMOUS.

Wii:
The Wii hasn't got much love from me lately as a game machine. Primarily I've been using it as a workout system, but I had to take a break because of the ills of working out on concrete floors in bare feet. Threw in Super Mario Galaxy the other day and finished a few levels. I also remembered how frustrating it is and why I quit in the first place

PC:

WHAT?!?! PC GAMES?!?!
That's right, I'm back into PC games. Bought Sims 3 for j3nn and got surprisingly into it. Also, the Klondike Kid bought me a copy of Lord of the rings online, so I'll be rocking that.

No comments: